– Available in 75 Languages, T9 Predictive Text is Becoming a Popular Way to Spread Holiday Cheer around the World via SMS and Charitable Giving –
BURLINGTON, Mass., December 16, 2008 – The holidays are finally here and what better way to spread the holiday cheer than with a text message to your friends and family. People around the world are sending the season’s greetings via email, IM and SMS mobile messaging, and with Nuance Communication Inc.’s (NASDAQ: NUAN) T9 ® Text Input it’s easy, with support for upwards of 75 languages worldwide on a broad range of handsets.
Nuance’s T9 makes saying “Happy Holidays” easier than ever for a variety of languages, including:
· Simplified Chinese: “jié rÃ¬ kuÃ i lÃ¨”
· Hindi: “Chuttiyo Ki Shubh kaamnayein”
· Arabic: “Kullu Sana wa Antum bi-Khayr”
· Indonesian: “Selamat Hari Raya”
· Portuguese: “Festas Felizes”
· Russian: “S Praznikom”
· Spanish: “Felices Fiestas”
· French: “Joyeuses Fetes”
And with word completion and next word prediction, sending your friends and family warm holiday wishes becomes easier each time you hit send. If your phone doesn’t support the languages above, just add the words to your predictive text dictionary to say “Happy Holidays” in a variety of languages.
T9 is the industry-leading predictive text solution enabling text-based mobile communications services, making mobile phone keypads easier to navigate by allowing for one simple key press per letter – placing the power of a full QWERTY keyboard in the standard nine keys on wireless phones. Text messages are fast becoming the preferred mobile communication application, with a recent study from Nielsen Mobile showing that text messaging is overtaking mobile voice calls. Charitable Giving Made Easy through Text It’s also possible to give back with text messaging this holiday season. Organizations are increasingly tapping into SMS text messaging as a means to providing mobile users with an easy way to contribute to their favorite charities. A few ideas include:
· Support the American Red Cross Text2Help Initiative, a partnership between the American Red Cross and The Wireless Foundation that allows customers of participating wireless carriers to send a text message to the Red Cross and make a donation to support the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund. Subscribers of participating wireless carriers can donate $5 to American Red Cross disaster relief efforts simply by text messaging the keyword “GIVE” to “2HELP” (24357).
· Give to the Richie-Madden Children’s Foundation, dedicated to bringing meaningful opportunities to children in the U.S. and abroad, while also striving to bring light and laughter into their lives through unique entertainment and special events. By texting “CHILD” to 90999, you’ll donate $5 to the fund.
· Provide anti-malaria bed nets to those living in Africa through the UN Foundation’s Nothing but Nets campaign. All you have to do is text “BEDNET” to 90999 to give your donation of $5.
· Donating is made easy with PayPal’s Text2Give service. Simply activate your phone to participate in the service and you can start giving on the spot. Participating charities include UNICEF, Amnesty International and Starlight, Starbright Children’s Foundation.
To see if you have T9, and learn more about how to give back and the many ways you can say “Happy Holidays,” visit www.nuance.com/t9holidays.
About Nuance MobileNuance Mobile builds innovative, intelligent and intuitive touch and speech interfaces to simplify and enhance the way people interact with mobile devices, applications, and services. Nuance Mobile solutions make mobile devices and in-car systems easier to use, automate customer self-service, and optimize the access and discovery of even the most advanced mobile applications and content – regardless of technical know-how, location, environment, or physical and literacy capabilities. About Nuance Communications, Inc.Nuance is a leading provider of speech and imaging solutions for businesses and consumers around the world. Its technologies, applications and services make the user experience more compelling by transforming the way people interact with information and how they create, share and use documents. Every day, millions of users and thousands of businesses experience Nuance’s proven applications and professional services. For more information, please visit: nuance.com.# # # Nuance T9 and the Nuance logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Nuance Communications, Inc. or its subsidiaries in the United States of America and/or other countries. All other company names or product names may be the trademarks of their respective owners. The American Red Cross name is used with its permission, which in no way constitutes an endorsement,express or implied, of any company, product or service. The statements in this press release, relating to future plans or future events or services, are forward-looking statements which are subject to specific risks and uncertainties. These could involve particular market trends, competition factors and other risks described in the documents submitted to the US Securities and Exchange Commission. The actual results, events and services may vary significantly from the forecasts. The reader is warned not to rely on these forward-looking statements without reservation, since these are simply reflections of the current situation.