These technologies might be as old as the name Telephony, but they just needed a new twist to make it big (Connected Planet, anyone?):
- Dynamic Spectrum Management (DSM), boosting the speed of ol’ DSL
- SONET as timing-enabling transport for IP/Ethernet
- The decades-old concept of AIN – Advanced Intelligent Network – actually deployed on today’s IP networks
- Social gaming. As annoying as all those FarmVille Facebook requests are, adding social elements to games – both online and mobile – has opened up the market to a whole new set of gamers.
- Carrier Ethernet – Ethernet has already won; carrier Ethernet adds new levels of cost savings/efficiency
Coming next: Rumors we (and our readers) would like to see come true.
It’s not too late to enter to win $50. Take the survey here: Best & Worst of 2009 SURVEY