Revenue was harder to come by in 2009, but these business models put a new spin on making money:
- Charging competitors for preferred access to the network – CDNs, wholesaling of network APIs, quality of service guarantees for over-the-top players
- Whoever successfully moves Google’s Ad Words ad engine (Google itself; someone new) into the world of mobile advertising
- Taking advantage of billions of M2M devices plus the possibility of driving mobile penetration among consumers from 80% to 400% (every customer has multiple wireless devices)
- NOT ad-supported. Just to be different.
- Prepaid for wireless and, potentially, 3G broadband. Consumers voted with their checkbooks this year.
- Clearwire’s all-you-can-eat data. Who knows if it’s making money, but it’s how people want to consumer mobile broadband.
Coming next: The top technology trends of 2009.
It’s not too late to enter to win $50. Take the survey here: Best & Worst of 2009 SURVEY