Apple was a catalyst for a lot in 2009, but there are some trends the software giant can’t take credit for:
- New “wholesale” markets like CDN and mobile backhaul emerging as hot growth areas
- Network equipment vendors overnight turning into outsourced network operators
- DPI and policy entering the network in a big way – adding intelligence to the network
- Vertical solution areas – most notably smart grids – emerging as key driver of network growth
- The acceleration of 4G
- Apple wins in 2009, more apps, now mainstream; in 2010, can Android multi-carrier, multi-OEM strategy mean overnight catch-up?
- Girly versus manly (and offensive)? According to Verizon’s ads, the iPhone is for girly bimbos and the Droid is for manly men.
- Which platform will get more porn?
Coming next: Defining 2009 for Connected Planet.